Riot Games releases a surprise Maokai mini-rework on the PBE servers.
Maokai, The Twisted Treant released in 2011, is one of the oldest champions in League of Legends. Being an old champion, he has a simple kit that is easy to master. Maokai is mainly played as a top laner but can also be played in the jungle and support roles. Unfortunately, despite his role diversity and ease of mastery, he has an abysmal play rate.
Currently, in Platinum+ elo, Maokai has a 0.3 percent pick rate in the top lane, less than 0.1 percent in the jungle, and 1.52 percent in the support role. Besides the support role, he has a less than 50 percent win rate in every position, with the jungle role having a shocking 43 percent win rate. As a result, to increase Maokai’s play rate and win rate, Riot plans on reworking him.
Riot has done many excellent reworks this year. For example, the Ahri, Taliyah, and Sivir mini-reworks. They have been very successful and have increased their pick rate massively. So Riot wishes to do the same for our friendly tree and rework Maokai.
Riot revealed their plan for the Maokai mini-rework yesterday. According to Riot August, their goal is to improve the feel of some of his spells and get him back into top and jungle without eliminating his support playstyle.
Passive – Sap Magic
- [New] Getting hit by Large jungle monsters reduce the passive cooldown by 1s per auto.
Q – Bramble Smash
- [Adjust] Base damage: 70/110/150/190/230 (40% AP) –> 65/110/155/200/245 (40% AP)
- [New] Percent max health damage: 2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3%
- [New] Bonus damage to monsters 20/35/50/65/80
E – Sapling Toss
- [Removed] Percent max health damage
- [Adjust] Base damage total: 20-120 –> 45-185 (40% AP + 3% total HP)
- [Adjust] Bush damage total: 40-240 –> 75-315 (80% AP + 6% total HP)
- [New] Empowered damage does not affect minions
- [Buff] Mana cost: 60/70/80/90/100 –> 45/55/65/75/85
- [Buff] Slow amount : 35% –> 45%
- [New] Empowered bush slow amount 55%
R – Nature’s Grasp
- [Buff] Missile Initial Speed: 50 –> 100
- [Buff] Missile Max Speed: 650 –> 750
- [Buff] Missile Acceleration: 250 –> 300
- [New] Movespeed on champion hit: 40-60% MS decaying over 2s
Maokai mini-rework is currently available on the PBE for testing, and the changes should ship to the live servers on Patch 12.17, Thursday, Sept 8, 2022.