Similar to most other online multiplayer shooter games, Apex Legends allows players to switch servers to get the best possible connection while playing the game.
Changing servers could have multiple benefits as selecting the servers with the lowest ping, latency, and packet loss can make your experience vastly superior. Unfortunately, Apex Legends is littered with server-related issues.
As such, it is fairly common for the player base to switch to different servers in the hope of getting a better experience. While the game client automatically chooses the best possible server based on your ISP and location, manually selecting the right one can have a positive impact on your play session.
Also, the game is now available on almost all the major platforms that are out there right now such as PC, Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and a mobile port that is still in beta. Consequently, the process of changing the server slightly differs based on the platform.
How to Change Servers in Apex Legends
All the steps to change Apex server on PC:
The process of changing servers while playing the PC version of Apex Legends is fairly simple. You need to follow these steps to change your server.
- First of all, launch the game either from origin or steam.
- After the game client pops up the main menu, you can see a option called “Data Center” which is situated at the bottom left corner of the menu.
- Click on it or press tab on your keyboard as it is the shortcut to open the server menu.
- After opening the server menu, players can choose whatever server they like.
All the steps to change Apex server on Xbox:
- The steps are really similar to PC as you just need to open the game on Xbox and similarly select the data center option that is situated at the bottom left corner of the menu.
- To select the data center menu, players need to press R3 which is basically the right analog button.
- After that, just select the exact server that you want to play on and you are done.
All the steps to change Apex server on Playstation
All the steps to change Apex server on Switch
- Similar to other consoles, the Nintendo Switch players just need to open the game and select the data center option that is situated at the bottom left corner of the menu.
- To select the data center menu, players need to press R3 which is usually the right analog button.
- After that, just select the exact server that you want to play on and you are done switching your server on Switch.
Will changing the Apex Legends server decrease input lag & latency?
Yes, in some cases, choosing the right server with less ping and packet loss can improve input lag. By choosing the correct server, the game will definitely perform much better. However, that may not always be the case as EA servers sometimes can malfunction due to myriad reasons.
Still, in the case of bad connection problems, it is recommended to switch servers to see if that solves your network-related issues in the game.