Janna is about to receive massive changes that almost qualify as a mini-redesign in Patch 13.22.
In League of Legends, there are two kinds of champions. One of them is very fun to play with, even if you die a lot with them. These champions often have complex kits. Naturally, it takes some learning to properly execute them. But there’s another kind of champion, traditionally considered ‘boring’, with much simpler kits and easy to perform with.
Janna, along with other enchanters, falls in the second category. Other than her tornado, her kit is pretty straightforward. You give shields, heals, etc utilities to your ally and help them win the game for you. Due to the simplistic nature of her kit, players often pick Janna for just winning the game. The ‘fun’ element experienced while playing complex champs with aggressive stats is more or less missing in her kit.
But what if you could still make her fun to play while not changing her utility role in the game? Well, with the upcoming 13.22 patch, Riot has decided to bring a plethora of changes to her kit that give her more damage and range in order to reallocate some of her utility power to her damage basket.
In this article, you will see what those exact changes are and my overall take on them. But before we dig into that, take a look at the current Patch 13.21 notes.
Read More: LoL Worlds 2023 Quarterfinals Draw
All the Upcoming Janna Changes
- Health Growth: 84>>>90
- Base Mana: 350>>>360
- Base Mana Growth: 64>>>50
- Base AD: 52>>>47
- AD Growth: 3>>>2.5
- Armor Growth: 5>>>4.5
- Attack Range: 500>>>550
- Attack Windup: 22%>>>20%
So, these are the changes in her base stats. The message is pretty clear here. She will get more attack range, and more mana in order to harass the enemy more during the laning phase. The lowered attack windup will also help her be slightly more aggressive.
- Janna will no longer get movement speed towards ally (Ally’s 6% movement speed towards her is retained).
- New: Passive now deals 20%-35% bonus Movement Speed (1/6/11/16) as Magic Damage on attack and W.
Changes in Janna’s Abilities
Q: Howling Gale
- Minimum damage: 60 – 160 (+ 35% AP) >>> 55 – 195 (+ 50% AP)
- Maximum damage: 105 – 265 (+65% AP) >>> (85 – 285) (+80% AP)
- Cooldown: 12s >>> 14s
- Mana cost: 60 – 100 >>> 90 – 110
- New: The range indicator will now show both the minimum and maximum range.
- New: The range indicator will now use a halfwidth of 100 instead of 120 (actual missile halfwidth unchanged at 120).
Here you see a clear buff on her tornado’s damage at later levels. Even with only 100 AP, her Q’s minimum damage will be (at max rank) 245, which is 50 more than her current capabilities. And that too without having a fully charged tornado. This may encourage Janna players to play more aggressively in close range.
- Passive Speed: No longer lost while on CD
- Cooldown: 12s >>> 8-6s
- Mana Cost: 50 – 90 >>> 50 – 75
- Base Damage: 80 – 200>>> 55 – 195
- Slow duration: 3s >>> 2s
Here, the most noticeable change is the mana cost and cooldown reduction. I think these overweight the decreased slow duration. Added with the higher base damage early game, this should enable Janna players to dish in more poke damage with more frequent slows.
E: Eye of the Storm
- Removed: Passive 15% Heal/Shield/Power for 4 seconds on applying movement impairments to enemy champions.
- Shield Duration: 5 >>> 4
- Removed: Shield decay
- Base Shield Health: 75 – 175 >>> 80 – 220
- Ability Cooldown: 15-9s >>> 16-12s
- New: 20% CD refund upon applying movement impairment
- Mana Cost: 70 – 110 >>> 70 – 90
So, for her E, the passive Heal/Shield/Power removal is pretty interesting. But the 20% CD refund and lower mana cost echo what I said earlier about Janna becoming more aggressive in terms of more frequent pokes. The cooldown increase should be offset by the CD refund and lower mana cost means more spams.
Overall, these are quite a few changes that might significantly change Janna’s playstyle. There are both buffs and nerfs mixed in there but as a whole, I feel like her increased poke capabilities with more or less the same utility slightly outweighs the trade-offs in practicality.
However, with other changes to the games, it’s hard to tell if the net effect is a plus or minus. But I guess we’ll see when these changes are live!
These new changes will be coming in the upcoming League of Legends Patch 13.22. That is officially scheduled to be deployed on Wednesday, November 8. There will be 2 more patches after that before the new season kicks off.