Riot to make multiple champion adjustments in patch 13.22. including Brand, Gragas, Janna, and Seraphine.
After a loaded patch 13.21, Riot now puts their attention to the next patch of League of Legends. In the recent few patches, we have seen some drastic changes being done to champions, items, and jungle. 13.22 will also see many adjustments along with system changes.
There’s also some unconfirmed information regarding drastic changes in Summoner’s Rift map. I think these all signal the process of streamlining the transition to the upcoming pre-season patch, which will potentially bring a lot of massive changes to the game.
Riot Phroxzon has posted a brief preview of what changes to come in Patch 13.22. Multiple buffs and nerfs are coming, along with Mage attack speed changes. But this article will be strictly about the balance adjustments to the champions.
Multiple Champion Adjustments
The 4 champions who are going to get adjustments (not ‘technical’ buffs/nerfs) are Brand, Gragas, Janna, and Seraphine.
Despite being a damage-oriented pure mage champion, Brand is exclusively seen in the duo lane. Some people do still play him in mid-lane, but he is very easy to punish early, and once behind, he almost never comes back as strong as the traditional mage champions. His poke and burst damages are also not powerful enough relative to the more mainstream mages, such as Syndra, Aurelion Sol, Viktor, or even Velkoz.
- Damage: 65 /…/ 165 + 50% AP >>> 60/…/180 + 60% AP
Therefore, Riot plans to give it more power so it can be a versatile pick for mid and jungle players. By providing more amp to his E, Brand will have an easier time clearing waves and camps, essential for mid and jungle roles.
Moreover, since his power is adjusted to make him a viable Jungle pick, he can be an even greater flex pick in solo queue. Currently, his pick rate is slightly more than one percent in mid and jungle, support being 4 times more popular.
- Base Stats:
- AD Growth: 3>>>2.5.
- Armor Growth: 5>>>4.5.
- Attack Range: 500>>>550.
- Attack Windup: 22%>>>20%.
- Base Mana: 350>>>360.
- Base Mana Growth: 64>>>50.
- Base AD: 52>>>47.
- Health Growth: 84>>>90.
- Passive – Tailwind:
- Movement Speed Towards Allies: 6% >>> 0%.
- (New) Bonus Damage For Basic Attack and W: 20/25/30/35% Bonus Movement Speed (level 1/6/11/16).
- Q – Howling Gale:
- Minimum Damage: 60/85/110/135/160 (+ 35% AP) >>> 55/90/125/160/195 (+ 50% AP).
- Cooldown: 12 seconds >>> 14 seconds.
- Mana Cost: 60/70/80/90/100 >>> 90/95/100/105/110.
- W – Zephyr:
- Passive Movement Speed: 0 on Cooldown >>> Always Active.
- Cooldown: 12 seconds >>> 8/7.5/7/6.5/6 seconds.
- Mana Cost: 50/60/70/80/90 >>> 50/56.25/62.5/68.75/75.
- Damage: 80/110/140/170/200 (+ 60% AP) >>> 55/90/125/160/195 (+ 60% AP).
- Slow Duration: 3 seconds >>> 2 seconds.
- E – Eye of the Storm:
- No Longer Gains 15% Heal/Shield Power after applying Slows or Knockups.
- Refunds 20% of E’s Cooldown after applying Slows or Knockups.
- Shield Duration: 5 seconds >>> 4 seconds.
- Shield Decay: Decays after 2.5 seconds >>> No Longer Decays.
- Shield Strength: 75/100/125/150/175 (+ 55% AP) >>> 80/115/150/185/220 (+ 55% AP).
- Cooldown: 15/13.5/12/10.5/9 seconds >>> 16/15/14/13/12 seconds.
- Mana Cost: 70/80/90/100/110 >>> 70/75/80/85/90.
This long list of ‘changes’ is directed towards making Janna more satisfying to play. Currently, her kit mostly serves as a shield bot. With these changes, Janna will be capable of being more proactive and aggressive in the lane.
E: Body Slam
- Cooldown Refund: 3s >>> 40% of Cooldown
R: Explosive Cask
- Travel time: 0.55s >>> 0.5s
CD refund on E is technically a buff as you get the most value out of it with relatively longer CD. But if you build a lot of ability haste (at 70 ability haste or more), the actual cooldown reduces dramatically making the 40% refund less than 3s.
Travel time reduction on ultimate is reduced by 0.05 second. Seems pretty insignificant at first glance, but in clutch situation such minute change ends up being a game changer.
Riot is still struggling to find the sweet spot for Seraphine. Recently, they have tried to bring a lot of changes to her kit overall, but it has proven to be ineffective as she sits at a near 49% win rate in the support role. Accidentally, her mid and Bot performance got much better, with 51.34% and 55.53% win rate respectively. With the new changes, it seems like it will get even better.
Passive: Stage Presence
- 4/8/14/25 + 7% AP >>> 5/10/18/30 + 5% AP (50/100/200/250 AP break-even)
Q: High Note
- Damage amp Threshold: 75% missing HP >>> 85% missing HP
W: Surround Sound
- Shield: 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 (+ 25% AP) >>> 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 (+ 20% AP)
The intent with these changes is to make her more popular in solo lane. However, despite Riot claiming that these won’t affect her support role that much, we all know that extra damage always helps. It is hard to see how it doesn’t give her more power as a support, especially when you pair it with already existing sustain. The shield reduction by 5% is almost negligible in regard to the previous two damage amp.
Patch 13.22 Release Date
All these changes will be live on Wednesday, November 8, 2023 as Patch 13.22 releases.