Respawn has finally revealed all the legend-related changes they are bringing with the highly anticipated Apex Legends season 12 Defiance update.
At its core, Apex Legends is a hero-based first-person shooter game set in the same universe as the Titanfall franchise. Since this battle royale game follows a tried and tested freemium monetization model, Respawn always introduces new features and quality-of-life updates to keep the player base engaged.
With each new season in Apex Legends, Respawn deploys significant balancing changes targeted toward characters and weapons to shake up the meta. These changes also include new reworks to legends with a low pick rate to take the overall meta into a new direction.
In season 12 of Apex Legends, Respawn finally gave Crypto a much-deserved buff, making him a more prevalent threat on the battlefield. Crypto fans have been asking for a rework for a long time now. Crypto will finally be able to use his tactical drone remotely while charging with the squad. Suffice it to say that the new Crypto-related changes will make new players fall in love with Crypto’s unique playstyle.
On the other side of the aisle, Caustic will receive a major nerf, making him less of a threat in the actual games. In the new season 12 update, Caustic’s barrels can now be destroyed even if they are triggered. While it may not seem like a lot, this will change the later stages of a game.
Season 12 Character Buffs & Nerfs
Drone View HUD and other Quality of Life updates:
- Added game state (e.g., Ring information, round timers), minimap, kill feed, team status, and ping information to the Drone’s HUD.
- Repurposed the Drone HUD’s old Crypto health/shield presentation to display the health of the Drone itself.
- Survey Beacon markers are now displayed in-world while piloting the Drone (same as when controlling Crypto himself).
- Increased the Neurolink detection FOV from 160 -> 240 degrees.
- Neurolink detection is now disabled while the Drone is being recalled.
Surveillance Drone changes:
- The deployment of the Drone has received a rework:
- Pressing the Tactical button causes Crypto to send the Drone flying in a straight line in the direction of Crypto’s view for a few seconds.
- If thrown to a wall (or other geo), the Drone will hit the wall and re-orient itself so that it’s facing away from the wall.
- Crypto no longer immediately accesses Drone View after deploying his Drone in this way.
- Pressing and holding the [Tactical] button will launch the Drone forward in the same way, but then Crypto will immediately access Drone View.
- Reduced Drone health from 60 -> 50.
- The HUD marker for the Drone has been tweaked to increase visibility.
- The HUD marker for the Drone is now always displayed on-screen while the Drone is deployed (instead of only when the Drone is off-screen.
Nox Gas Traps are now destroyable after detonation
- Detonated traps will expire at 11s (instead of 12.5s)
- Gas effects linger for two seconds after barrel destruction or expiration (gas particles still linger a bit longer as they dissipate)