Learn about all the classes in The Diofield Chronicle through our guide.
The Diofield Chronicle is a new tactical RPG game from Square Enix that reminds us of Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, and The Tactics Ogre games mixed with the game’s own flavor. You play as a band of soldiers fighting in a war between kingdoms. As such, the game has you controlling characters on a battlefield of different classes to part in real-time tactical battles.
Moreover, each character in your team will hail from one of the four classes in the game. Additionally, they’ll wield different skills that aid you in turning the tides around as they work together. As you progress, you have to level up, find better weapons and unlock skills to strengthen your party. Each class has unique skill sets, advantages, weaknesses, and strengths. Furthermore, it’s up to you to balance and choose the best classes to fight in any battle by judging the battle conditions and enemy types.
Hence, our The Diofield Chronicle class guide walks you through the details about all the classes, what units are a part of the classes, their skills, and how the classes play out. Follow our guide to learn more and prepare for the many battles ahead.
Classes in The Diofield Chronicle
Cavaliers ride horses or wyverns in battle. Hence they are strong, swift, and highly mobile. They are useful in crowd control and can rush into battle to disperse and separate enemy forces and return to safety.
Since the Cavaliers focus on rushing into the frontlines to attack and crowd control incoming groups of enemies, it is best to balance their stats to keep both attacking and defensive attributes high.
Cavaliers will move around the map to attack and support units with less melee strength and defense, such as Magickers and Archers. Therefore it is also a good idea to keep the classes together. One will attack from afar while Cavaliers will rush to the enemies. This ensures the quick defeat of enemies.
All Cavalier Characters
- Fredret Lester: One of the best horse riders in the game. He wields a lance and focuses on DPS attacks and defensive crowd control abilities, making him a balanced yet skilled fighter.
- Castevere Bunnow: Bunnow focuses on all-out attacking. He, too, wields a lance, and all his attributes and skills revolve around DPS and crowd controlling with a highly attacking and aggressive style.
- Zoruaq Wigan: A veteran wyvern rider. Wigan uses Claws for DPS and aggressive crowd control. His high attacking stats and HP recovery make him the best Cavalier unit in the game.
- Chappleman: Chappleman is a wyvern rider who shares similar stats to Zoruaq. However, he is a bit weaker than him. Nevertheless, Chappleman is still a strong pick since Wyvern Riders have better, stronger AOE skills and mobility.
All Cavalier Skills
- Mounted Charge: Deal damage to enemies in the target area and knock them back.
- Full Frontal Assault: Move to the specified point, dealing damage to enemies en route.
- Furious Flurry: Deal damage to enemies in the target area.
- Horse Kick: Deal damage to an enemy and swap positions with them.
- Vicious Swing: Deal damage to enemies in the target area and move them in front of the unit.
- Lance Strike: Deal damage to enemies in the target area. Sharpshooters take extra damage.
- Flame Breath: Deal damage to enemies in the target area, inflicting Burn.
- Wings of the Storm: Deal damage to enemies in the target area, pulling them to the centre.
- Cyclone: Deal damage to enemies in the target area. Once the cyclone has been unleashed, it will damage any enemy that comes into contact with it.
- Flame Assault: Move to the specified point, damaging enemies en route and setting the ground on fire.
- Rush Flare: Move close to an ally and deal damage to enemies in the target area.
Usually, in games like this, Knights or Paladins are the classes that act as tanks with heavy attack power. But the role of tank classes in The Diofield Chronicles goes to the Soldier class.
As tanks, your Soldier will stay and the front lines to divert enemies towards you and provoke them to attack you. Meanwhile, all other units will attack them from the back and sides. So make sure you have high defense and attack as you need to take in as much damage as possible and also deal damage.
Soldiers also inflict various status effects such as Stun and Poison and can heal, changing the flow of battle. Some Soldier units are less mobile, but it is for the better as you should focus Soldiers on shielding and supporting classes other than Cavaliers. However, some Soldier Characters are quicker and can inflict Ambush damage well, stealth-like attacks.
All Soldier Characters
- Andrias Rhondarson: Single Target DPS and a Sub Tank, wielding daggers. He focuses more on getting around enemies and attacking them than holding the lines from the front.
- Izelair Wigan: Izelair is a full tank that can hold her own due to her ability to absorb damage and increase defense. She uses a sword and shield to fight with great power.
- Catherine: A sword and shield user, Catherine is a useful unit on the battlefield. She can also heal and support allies using spells and her tanking abilities. Making her one of the most valuable classes in The Diofield Chronicle.
- Donovar Sullion: An Axe wielder, so you know he attacks with pure strength. Donovar Sullion excels in attacking with AOE and also as a Tank. He’s skillset allows him to attack while healing and breaking enemy lines as he pushes forward with his multiple target attacks and high defense.
All Soldier Skills
- Shield Wall: Erect a barrier of shields and inflict provoke on enemies in the target area.
- Axe of Grace: Deal damage to a target and recover HP based on the damage dealt. Inflict Provoke.
- Shockwave: Deal damage to enemies in the target area. The lower the user’s HP, the greater the damage inflicted.
- Deadly Chaser: Deal damage to a target. Enchanted beasts take extra damage.
- Boomerang Axe: Deal damage to enemies in the target area and recover HP based on the number of enemies targeted.
- Heavy Smash: Deal damage to enemies in the target area and then move to the specified enemy. The lower the user’s HP, the greater the damage inflicted.
- Shield Bash: Deal damage to a target, inflicting Stun.
- Photon Blade: Unleash a shockwave when attacking, dealing additional damage to foes in the target area. The effect continues throughout the cooldown period.
- Roundhouse Slash: Deal damage to enemies in the target area, inflicting Provoke.
- Shield Charge: Move to an enemy in the target area and deal damage to them. The enemy’s actions will be canceled, and they will be inflicted with Provoke.
- Phantom Sword: Deal damage to enemies in the target area, inflicting Weakness. Cavaliers take extra damage.
- Assassination: Deal damage to an enemy. Cooldown is reduced to 0 if the finishing blow is delivered.
- Dagger Blitz: Deal damage to enemies in the target area, inflicting Poison.
- Avatar Rush: Deal damage to a target. Damage is doubled if their HP is at 25% or less.
- Leaping Attack: Move to a specified point and deal damage to enemies in the target area, knocking them back.
- Shadow Step: Move behind a target and deal damage to them. Enemies with a status effect take extra damage.
Sharpshooters are the archer classes in The Diofield Chronicle. Not only do they inflict strong ranged attacks and AOE attacks, but they also inflict various status effects that slow enemy movement and interrupt them from performing their skills.
Keep Sharpshooter’s attack high since they’ll be attacking from a distance, and use AOE attacks to clear groups of enemies surrounding your Cavaliers and Soldiers. Use movement hindering attacks to halt enemy movement while other units attack and ambush them.
All Sharpshooter Characters
- Iscarion Colchester: Bow and Arrow user. Iscarion is a strong individual who excels in DPS attacks and uses traps to damage enemies. Iscarion’s abilities allow him to increase his critical rate.
- Rickenback Madea: Madea is another Bow user who uses her increasing luck to support allies and herself. Her luck also allows her to deal additional damage.
- Umarida Bareas: This nimble firearm user attacks with DPS and AOE and inflicts various status effects on enemies, weakening them.
- Tremina Umbert: Tremina is a pure DPS attacker who is a beast when it comes to dealing damage. Single target, multi-target, she does it all.
All Sharpshooter Skills
- Fantail Formation: Assume fantail formation and continuously attack the target area.
- Rain of Arrows: Deal damage to enemies in the target area, inflicting Delay.
- Stun Shot: Deal damage to a target, inflicting Stun.
- Concentrated Volley: Deal damage to a target. Magickers take extra damage.
- Backflip: Deal damage to an enemy and move behind them, canceling their next action and inflicting Immobilised.
- Trap Caster: Set a tripwire trap. Enemies who come into contact with the wire take damage, which increases as the cooldown timer ticks away.
- Railgun: Deal damage to enemies in the target area. The more enemies there are, the greater the damage inflicted.
- Shell Shot: Deal damage to enemies in the target area, then move behind them. The closer an enemy is to the unit, the greater the damage inflicted.
- Headshot: Deal damage to enemies in the target area. Critical hits deal double damage.
- Chain Shot: Send a shot ricocheting from one enemy to another in the target area, inflicting Weakness.
- Chaos Cluster: Deal damage to a target and randomly inflict either Burn, Delay, Poison, or Stun. The other statuses may also be inflicted, each with a 30% chance.
Magickers are the wizards, sorcerers, and mage classes of The Diofield Chronicle. They are insanely powerful as they can cast a set of versatile spells. Casting spells with serious damage, healing, buffs, debuffs. Keep them far from the front lines or around Tanks to protect them.
All Magicker Characters
- Hezeliah Shaytham: Hezeliah is a wand user who focuses on attacking with AOE and supporting allies through buffs and stunning enemies.
- Waltaquin Redditch: A versatile character. Mainly because her abilities can do a little bit of everything. Damaging, debuffing foes, and healing.
- Estalt Yewfar: Staff wielder who is also a versatile Magicker, having skills that focus on all aspects.
- Shivat Malzin: Shivat is the best healer and support among the Magicker classes in The Diofield Chronicles. Thanks to his skills, that allows massive healing. In fact, his offensive skills also heal allies if they are in range.
All Magicker Skills
- Convalescent Circle: Heal all allies in the target area while the skill is active, and fill up the rescue gauge for incapacitated allies in the target area.
- Meteor Fall: Deal regular damage to enemies in the target area.
- Frostbind Inflict: Freeze on enemies in the target area.
- Pandemic: Deal damage to enemies in the target area. If any of the targets have a status effect, it is passed to all enemies in the target area.
- Magical Force: Deal damage to a target. Soldiers take extra damage.
- Hurried Heal: Restore 30% of the target’s max HP.
- Ignition: Create an effect area that bestows Rapidity to allies within it.
- Heal: Restore 50% of a target’s max HP.
- Frenzied Soul: Deal damage to enemies in the target area and restore part of that damage as HP to all allies in the target area.
- Sanctuary: Create a restorative area that gradually restores HP to allies within it.
- Lightning Rod: Deploy a lightning rod which deals damage at regular intervals to enemies in its target area, with a chance to inflict Stun.
- Flame Wisp: Conjure a ball of flame that circles around the target, potentially inflicting Burn on those it strikes.
- Ice Missile: Conjure a block of ice on the target. The block will fire icy arrows as the unit attacks. Has a chance to inflict Freeze.
Read more: The Diofield Chronicle – All Trophies and Achievements