Here’s a complete guide on how to make Genshin Impact’s Electro Archon Raiden Shogun, a.k.a Baal, as powerful as possible.
Genshin Impact is a free-to-play open-world action RPG created by Chinese developer miHoYo. Since its release in 2020, Genshin Impact has introduced up to 40 playable characters in its lineup. Among them, Raiden Shogun, who is also known as Baal, or Beelzebul, or Raiden Ei, is a 5-star character. She is the Electro Archon of Inazuma who uses an Electro Polearm. In addition to that, she also pulls out a sword from within herself during her elemental burst and slashes surrounding enemies.
Although she is primarily a Support / Sub-DPS character, she can still put up a good fight against enemies. Since her Electro damage scales with her Energy Recharge, her build should be focused on stacking it as much as possible. Here we will be providing a complete guide to Raiden Shogun’s Best Builds, Weapons, Artifacts, Talents. Moreover, we will also go over how to obtain Raiden Shogun, as well as the best characters to pair her with.
- Raiden Shogun Talents
- How to Get Raiden Shogun
- Best Weapons for Raiden Shogun
- Best Artifacts for Raiden Shogun
- Best Builds for Raiden Shogun
- Best Characters to pair with Raiden Shogun
Raiden Shogun Talents
The deity’s strongest talent is her elemental burst Secret Art: Musou Shinsetsu. Below is an outline of Baal’s abilities, passives, and Constellation, as well as the talent ascension materials required and how to get them:
Normal Attack: Origin
- Normal Attack – Performs up to 5 consecutive spear strikes.
- Charged Attack – Consumes a certain amount of the Raiden Shogun’s Stamina to perform an upward slash.
- Plunging Attack – The Raiden Shogun lunges from mid-air to strike the ground below, damaging opponents along her path and dealing AoE DMG upon impact.
- Transcendence: Baleful Omen – The Raiden Shogun unveils a shard of her Euthymia, dealing Electro DMG to nearby opponents, and granting nearby party members the Eye of Stormy Judgment.
- Eye of Stormy Judgement: When characters with this buff attack and hit opponents, the Eye will unleash a coordinated attack, dealing AoE Electro damage at the opponent’s position. The Eye can initiate one coordinated attack every 0.9s per party. Coordinated attacks generated by characters not controlled by you deal 20% of the normal DMG.
- Secret Art: Musou Shinsetsu – The Raiden Shogun unleashes the Musou no Hitotachi and deals AoE Electro DMG, using Musou Isshin in combat for a certain duration afterward. The DMG dealt by Musou no Hitotachi and Musou Isshin’s ATK will be increased based on the number of Chakra Desiderata’s Resolve stacks consumed when this skill is used.
- Musou Isshin: While in this state, the Raiden Shogun will wield her tachi in battle, while her Normal, Charged, and Plunging Attacks will be infused with Electro DMG, which cannot be overridden. When such attacks hit opponents, she will regenerate Energy for all nearby party members. Energy can be restored this way once every second, and this effect can be triggered 5 times throughout this skill’s duration. Her resistance to interruption is increased, and she is immune to Electro-Charged reaction DMG. Moreover, while Musou Isshin is active, the Raiden Shogun’s Normal, Charged, and Plunging Attack DMG will be considered Elemental Burst DMG. The effects of Musou Isshin will be cleared when the Raiden Shogun leaves the field.
- Chakra Desiderata: When nearby party members (excluding the Raiden Shogun herself) use their Elemental Bursts, the Raiden Shogun will build up Resolve stacks based on the Energy Cost of these Elemental Bursts. The maximum number of Resolve stacks is 60. The Resolve gained by Chakra Desiderata will be cleared 300 seconds after the Raiden Shogun leaves the field.
- Wishes Unnumbered (1st Ascension Passive) – When nearby party members gain Elemental Orbs or Particles, Chakra Desiderata gains 2 Resolve stacks. This effect can occur once every 3 seconds.
- Enlightened One (4th Ascension Passive) – Each 1% above 100% Energy Recharge that the Raiden Shogun possesses grants her 0.6% greater Energy restoration from Musou Isshin and a 0.4% Electro DMG Bonus.
- All-Preserver (Utility Passive) – Mora expended when ascending Swords and Polearms is decreased by 50%.
- Ominous Inscription (Lvl 1): Chakra Desiderata will gather Resolve even faster. When Electro characters use their Elemental Bursts, the Resolve gained is increased by 80%. When characters of other Elemental Types use their Elemental Bursts, the Resolve gained is increased by 20%.
- Steelbreaker (Lvl 2): Secret Art: Musou Shinsetsu’s Musou no Hitotachi and Musou Isshin attacks will ignore 60% of opponents’ Defense.
- Shinkage Bygones (Lvl 3): Increases the level of Secret Art: Musou Shinsetsu by 3. (Maximum upgrade level is 15.)
- Pledge of Propriety (Lvl 4): When the Musou Isshin state applied by Secret Art: Musou Shinsetsu expires, all nearby party members (excluding the Raiden Shogun) gain 30% bonus Attack for 10 seconds.
- Shogun’s Descent (Lvl 5): Increases the level of Transcendence: Baleful Omen by 3. (Maximum upgrade level is 15.)
- Wishbearer (Lvl 6): While in the Musou Isshin state applied by Secret Art: Musou Shinsetsu, the Raiden Shogun’s Normal, Charged, and Plunging Attacks will decrease all nearby party members’ (but not her own) Elemental Burst Cooldown by 1 second when they hit opponents. This effect can trigger once every 1 second, and can trigger a total of 5 times during the state’s duration.
Talent Ascension Materials
Here’s what you’ll need to ascend the Raiden Shogun’s talents:
- Teachings of Light – Obtained from Violet Court domain on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- Old Handguard – Dropped by Nobushi and Kairagi of different world levels
- Crown of Insight – Obtained from from seasonal activities, or upgrading the Frostbearing Tree in Dragonspine, or the Sacred Sakura in Inazuma
- Molten Moment – Gained by defeating the new La Signora weekly boss on level 70 and above.
How to Get Raiden Shogun
The Raiden Shogun is currently only available as an event-exclusive character, as part of the Reign of Serenity event running from September 1st to September 21st, 2021. Wishing on the event banner during this period has a huge chance of pulling the Raiden Shogun from the game’s gacha (gambling) system. Players can purchase the character event wish banner using Primogems. Apart from Baal, the event banner is offering characters such as Kujou Sara, Sucrose, and Xiangling.
Genshin has already confirmed that the Raiden Shogun cannot be obtained through Standard Wish after the Reign of Serenity event is over. Therefore, there is no way of telling whether she will make a reappearance in future character event wishes in case you fail to obtain her during this time.
Best Weapons for Raiden Shogun
As part of the Reign of Serenity event, Genshin Impact is also offering Engulfing Lightning Polearm, a 5-star weapon, that will only be unlockable for the duration of the Event Wish. For maximum output, Baal should be equipped with Polearms that primarily increase Elemental Recharge. Here is the list of the best weapons you can pair the Raiden Shogun with, starting from Best to Worst:
Engulfing Lightning Polearm
Primordial Jade Winged-Spear
Best Artifacts for Raiden Shogun
As a Sub-DPS character, the Raiden Shogun should be paired with Artifacts that further increase her Elemental Recharge and boost Elemental Bursts. The Reign of Serenity event has introduced the Emblem of Severed Fate artifact set, which is the best set you can pair Baal with. However, there are also some other alternatives to choose from. We have listed our top picks below:
Emblem of Severed Fate
- 2-Piece Set: Elemental Burst DMG +20%
- 4-Piece Set: Using an Elemental Burst increases All party members’ ATK by 20% for 12s. This effect cannot stack.
- 2-Piece Set: +15% Electro Damage
- 4-Piece Set: +35% damage to opponents who are weak to electro damage.
Best Builds for Raiden Shogun
Sub-DPS Support Build
- Polearm: Engulfing Lightning
- Artifacts: Nobless Oblige 2-piece + Thundering Fury 2-piece
- Team Composition: Eula, Raiden Shogun, Kazuha, Diona
Electro-DPS Carry Build
- Polearm: Engulfing Lightning
- Artifacts: Emblem of Severed Fate 4-piece set
- Team Composition: Raiden Shogun, Tartaglia (Childe), Bennett, Xiangling
Best Characters to pair with Raiden Shogun
Baal is an amazing Support character who is able to provide stable Energy with her Elemental Burst and consistent Electro Status with her skill. The best way to get maximum output is through pairing her with other characters that can maximize Elemental Burst damage. Here are a few team compositions that work best with the Raiden Shogun:
- Team 1: Eula, Raiden Shogun, Kazuha, Diona – The idea is to let Eula be the main DPS while Baal acts as the Burst Sub-DPS to maximise damage output by applying Superconduct, reducing enemies’ physical defence by 50%. Moreover, pairing an Anemo user like Kazuha with Baal will allow players to create a swirl elemental reaction that effects multiple enemies at once. Furthermore, Diona will give shield and heal the whole team for longevity and provide Cryo Resonance for extra Crit Rate.
- Team 2: Yoimiya, Raiden Shogun, Anemo Traveler, Xingqiu – In this team composition, Yoimiya will be in the lead, dealing Overloaded & Vaporize. Xingiu can apply Hydro to enemies for Baal to trigger Electro Charge more easily. Anemo Traveler will provide Elemental debuff to increase the DMG of Electro Charge.
- Team 3: Raiden Shogun, Tartaglia, Bennett, Xiangling – An electro-charged team that will require players to switch between Baal and Childe to deal the maximum damage. Players will need to activate the Raiden Shogun’s Elemental skill, then switch to Childe for melee attack that will zap enemies. Bennett will provide healing, and Xiangling will apply her Pyronado.