The most important decision you will ever make in Starfield is in this mission. You need to select whether you want to defend the Lodge or go to The Eye.
Starfield drops players into a sci-fi universe as a space-faring adventurer. In this universe, you can choose to be a ruthless bounty hunter or a detective who keeps their eyes on everything. Now, one of the main story quests you’ll undertake is called “High Price to Pay.” This is one of those missions that will change how you play Starfield, as you will be forced to make a challenging decision.
During this quest, your companions get split up between two locations: The Lodge on New Atlantis and The Eye Orbital Station. Suddenly, the Starborn known as The Hunter attacks your friends on The Eye. That leaves you with two choices: Would you stay and defend The Lodge or rush to The Eye to protect your comrades there?
Unfortunately, you won’t find any of the options satisfactory. Whether you choose to defend The Lodge or go to The Eye, one of your closest friends will die by the end of the mission. As you can see, you can’t save everyone, so it’s up to you now. Choose one and sacrifice the other.
Defend the Lodge or Go to The Eye?
The Pros and Cons of Defending The Lodge
Choosing to stand your ground at The Lodge has some clear benefits, but also serious drawbacks to consider:
- You can directly defend the precious artifacts being kept safe in The Lodge. Preventing them from falling into the wrong hands is a key priority.
- Whichever companion is with you at The Lodge will be protected and survive the attack if you stay. You won’t have to mourn their loss later.
- The companions you left behind on The Eye will be exposed to danger from The Hunter’s assault, with no one there to help them.
- Defeating The Hunter in a head-on confrontation may prove extremely difficult or impossible as he is an imposing foe.
The Pros and Cons of Going to The Eye
Rushing to The Eye to help your friends has its own advantages and downsides:
- You can aid your companions in the fight against The Hunter, improving their chances of survival.
- Avoiding a confrontation with The Hunter yourself reduces the risk of defeat or death at his hands.
- The artifacts at The Lodge will be left unprotected and could be damaged or stolen.
- Whoever you left behind at The Lodge will certainly be killed without anyone there to defend them.
Which Option To Choose?
When it comes down to it, defending The Lodge lets you directly protect rare artifacts and save the companion by your side, at the cost of putting your friends on The Eye at risk. Rushing to The Eye can let you rescue those companions from harm but will leave the artifacts and your Lodge buddy vulnerable.
Moreover, there are good reasons to pick either option. If preserving powerful relics and technology is your top priority, sticking with The Lodge may be best. But if you value the lives of your comrades most, hurry to defend The Eye.
Ultimately, there’s no right answer, only the choice that aligns with your interests and style as a player. The impact is permanent either way, so I recommend saving your game first. That way, you can go back and try out the other branching path later on to see how events unfold differently.
Experiment with defending both locations across multiple walkthroughs. Moreover, you can fully experience the morally gray shades of your decision and maximize your enjoyment of Starfield greatly. The story can unfold in very different directions based on where you make your stand.