Here’s a complete guide on how to make the 77th Director of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor from Genshin Impact as powerful as possible.
Hu Tao is a 5-star Pyro user whose main weapon is a Polearm. She is in charge of managing Liyue’s funerary affairs and works alongside Zhongli, who is another 5-star Pyro character. Genshin Impact has introduced up to 10 Pyro users as playable characters since its release in 2020. Among them, Hu Tao is the first person whose abilities consume HP. However, she is also unique in the sense that her Elemental attacks deal more DMG when her health drops below 50%. Moreover, using her Elemental skill raises Party’s Crit Rate by 12%.
Hu Tao can be used as the main DPS of your party as a replacement for other Pyro users such as Diluc or Klee. However, you will want to pair her with characters with good healing abilities or shields to prevent her health from dropping to Zero. In this guide, we will be covering a range of topics; Hu Tao’s Best Builds, Weapons, Artifacts, Talents. Moreover, we will also go over how to obtain Hu Tao in Genshin Impact, as well as the best characters to pair her with.
- Hu Tao Talents
- How to Get Hu Tao in Genshin Impact
- Best Weapons for Hu Tao
- Best Artifacts for Hu Tao
- Best Builds for Hu Tao
- Best Characters to pair with Hu Tao
Hu Tao Talents
As mentioned earlier, Hu Tao is unique in a number of ways. Firstly, her Elemental attacks consume HP. Secondly, using her Elemental skills also increases the Critical Rate of her party by 12%. Although her base damage is considered weaker than other playable characters, she is still able to create powerful chain reactions using her Pyro skills that deal great damage. Moreover, in her Paramita Papilio state, Hu Tao’s ATK will be increased based on her Max HP, which can go upwards by up to 400% of her Base ATK.
While in the Paramita Papilio state, her attack DMG will be converted to Pyro DMG, while also providing her more resistance to interruption. Furthermore, Hu Tao has an Elemental Skill called the Blood Blossom Effect that deals Pyro DMG to enemies every 4 seconds and can be refreshed by Hu Tao. Below is a complete outline of Hu Tao’s abilities, passives, and Constellation, as well as the talent ascension materials required and how to get them:
Normal Attack: Secret Spear of Wangshen
- Normal Attack – Performs up to six consecutive spear strikes.
- Charged Attack – Consumes a certain amount of Stamina to lunge forward, dealing damage to enemies along the way.
- Plunging Attack – Plunges from mid-air to strike the ground below, damaging opponents along the path and dealing AoE DMG upon impact.
- Guide to Afterlife – Hu Tao consumes a part of her HP, knocking nearby enemies back and entering the Paramita Papilio State.
- Paramita Papilio State – Increases Hu Tao’s ATK based on her Max HP at the time of entering this state. However, ATK Bonus gained this way cannot exceed 400% of Hu Tao’s Base ATK. Moreover, Hu Tao’s attack DMG is converted to Pyro DMG, which cannot be overridden by any other elemental infusion. Furthermore, Hu Tao’s resistance to interruption is increased. In the Paramita Papilio state, Hu Tao’s Charged Attacks apply the Blood Blossom effect to enemies it hits. Paramita Papilio ends when its duration is over, or when Hu Tao has left the battlefield or fallen.
- Blood Blossom Effect: Enemies affected by Blood Blossom will take Pyro DMG every 4s. This DMG is considered Elemental Skill DMG. Each enemy can be affected by only one Blood Blossom effect at a time, and its duration may only be refreshed by Hu Tao herself.
- Spirit Soother – Hu Tao commands a blazing spirit to deal Pyro DMG in a large AoE. Upon striking the enemy, regenerates a percentage of Hu Tao’s Max HP. This effect can be triggered up to 5 times based on the number of enemies hit. If Hu Tao’s HP is below or equal to 50% when the enemy is hit, both the DMG and HP Regeneration are increased.
- Flutter By (1st Ascension Passive) – When a Paramita Papilio state activated by Guide to Afterlife ends, all allies in the party (excluding Hu Tao herself) will have their CRIT Rate increased by 12% for 8s.
- Sanguine Rougue (4th Ascension Passive) – When Hu Tao’s HP is equal to or less than 50%, her Pyro DMG Bonus is increased by 33%.
- The More the Merrier (Utility Passive) – When Hu Tao cooks a dish perfectly, she has a 18% chance to receive an additional “Suspicious” dish of the same type.
- Crimson Bouqet (Lvl 1) – While in a Paramita Papilio state activated by Guide to Afterlife, Hu Tao’s Charge Attacks do not consume Stamina.
- Ominous Rainfall (Lvl 2) – Increases the Blood Blossom DMG by an amount equal to 10% of Hu Tao’s Max HP at the time the effect is applied. Additionally, Spirit Soother will also apply the Blood Blossom effect.
- Lingering Carmine (Lvl 3) – Increases the Level of Guide to Afterlife by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Garden of Eternal Rest (Lvl 4) – Upon defeating an enemy affected by a Blood Blossom that Hu Tao applied herself, all nearby allies in the party (excluding Hu Tao herself) will have their CRIT Rate increased by 12% for 15s.
- Floral Inscence (Lvl 5) – Increases the Level of Spirit Soother by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Butterfly’s Embrace (Lvl 6) – Triggers when Hu Tao’s HP drops below 25%, or when she suffers a lethal strike. Hu Tao will not fall as a result of the DMG sustained. Additionally, for the next 10s, all of her Elemental and Physical RES is increased by 200%, her CRIT Rate is increased by 100%, and her resistance to interruption is greatly increased. This effect triggers automatically when Hu Tao has 1 HP left. Moreverm it can only occur once every 60s.
Talent Ascension Materials
Here’s what you’ll need to ascend Hu Tao’s talents:
- Teachings of Diligence – Obtained from Taishan Mansion on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday
- Whopperflower Nectar – Dropped by Whopperflower or purchase from Paimon’s Bargains
- Shard of a Foul Legacy – Obtained from defeating Tartaglia (Childe)
How to Get Hu Tao in Genshin Impact
Unfortunately, Hu Tao was only available as an event-exclusive character, as part of the Moment of Bloom wish event that ran from March 2nd to March 16th, 2021. In addition to Hu Tao, the banner had also introduced 4-star characters: Xinqiu, Chongyun, and Xiangling. Through Genshin Impact’s Gacha system, players were guaranteed to pull Hu Tao on their 180th wish if they had zero luck in pulling her much earlier. This Mercy system is applicable for All 5-star characters.
However, miHoYo has not yet made any official announcements regarding whether or not Hu Tao will return ever again. We will update this section if there is any news regarding Hu Tao’s possible return to Genshin Impact.
Best Weapons for Hu Tao
Staff of Homa
Primordial Jade Winged-Spear
Best Artifacts for Hu Tao
Since Hu Tao is an Elemental Skill reliant Pyro user who can be used as the main DPS of the team, we have only one set of Artifacts that we can truly recommend for her. That is the Crimson Witch of Flames set. The set is composed of five artifacts: Witch’s Heart Flames (Goblet), the Witch’s Scorching Hat (Circlet), the Witch’s Flower of Blaze (Flower), the Witch’s Ever-Burning Plume (Plume), and the Witch’s End Time (Sand). However, we have also listed some other Artifacts that can be paired with Hu Tao.
Crimson Witch of Flames
- 2-Piece Set: Pyro DMG Bonus +15%
- 4-Piece Set: Increases Overloaded and Burning DMG by 40%. Increases Vaporize and Melt DMG by 15%. Using an Elemental Skill increases 2-Piece Set effects by 50% for 10s. Max 3 stacks.
- 2-Piece Set: ATK +18%.
- 4-Piece Set: If the wielder of this artifact set uses a sword, claymore, or polearm, increases their Normal Attack damage by 35%.
- 2 Piece: Pyro RES increased by 40%.
- 4 Piece: Increases DMG against opponents affected by Pyro by 35%.
Best Builds for Hu Tao
- Pole: Staff of Homa
- Artifacts: Crimson Witch of Flames 4-piece set
- Team Composition: Hu Tao, Xingiu, Bennett, Zhongli
- Pole: Staff of Homa
- Artifacts: Lavawalker 4-piece set
- Team Composition: Hu Tao, Amber, Kaeya, Noelle
Best Characters to pair with Hu Tao
Since Hu Tao’s Base ATK is low, players will have to rely on her Elemental Skills to deal damage. To get the most out of Hu Tao’s Elemental damage, she should be paired with characters who can take advantage of the Elemental Resonance of her Pyro affinity or create strong Elemental Reactions. Moreover, since her elemental skills drain HP, it is essential to have characters that can switch between providing Support and Healing, and also characters with strong shields to help Hu Tao survive attacks with little HP.
- Hu Tao, Xingiu, Bennett, Zhongli – Xingqiu will enable Hu Tao to continuously deal vaporize boosting damage dealt by enemies. Bennett provides Pyro resonance to max Hu Tao’s buff period. When Hu Tao’s HP gets dangerously low, Bennett can switch to healing her instead. Zhongli’s strong shield not only debuffs enemies but also makes it a lot safer for Hu Tao to be out in the field with low HP.
- Hu Tao, Chongyun, Qiqi, Noelle – Since Chongqyun is a Cryo user, having him in the Party as a Sub-DPS will enable Hu Tao to create Melt reactions. Moreover, he can also reduce Cooldown periods of Elemental Bursts. On the other hand, Qiqi can also spread Cryo while healing, enabling Hu Tao to deal Melt damage. Xiniyan can switch between boosting Elemental Resonance of Hu Tao’s Pyro attacks and providing a strong shield. Noelle can focus on providing shield and healing.
- Hu Tao, Amber, Kaeya, Noelle – Hu Tao’s ATK will be boosted by Amber’s Elemental Resonance. Kaeya can spread Cryo easily making it easier to deal Melt damage. Noelle can provide shield and enough healing for Hu Tao to stay alive and have her HP gimmick buff.