Blizzard Entertainment released a new patch for Overwatch earlier today. The new patch brings major ability tweaks for Orisa, Reaper, Wrecking ball, and Winston.
With the current meta, Orisa was struggling as she would get burst down with damage even with her ‘Fortify’ ability. Due to this, it was rendered inconsistent and easy to take down. Also Reaper, being a top pick as a damage dealer, had to trade-off range for high DPS. This made him inefficient at even medium range.
Furthermore, Winston was getting burst down too quickly after diving into the enemy backline. His armor was too weak to soak up damage after his bubble had been destroyed. As for Wrecking ball, he’s now gained a prominent position high up in the ladder mostly because of the strength of his knockback in ball form. Blizzard addressed these issues in the latest patch.
Full Patch notes:
- Prevents critical headshot damage while effect is active
Developer Comments: This will make Fortify more reliable at preventing large bursts of incoming damage and make it more consistent as a defensive ability.
- Spread reduced from 8 to 6
- Damage per projectile reduced from 7 to 5.5
Developer Comments: Reaper’s shotguns have a high damage potential but require close range or large targets to fully utilize. We’re smoothing this out by extending the range at which he can consistently deal damage while lowering the maximum damage of each shot.
- Base Armor/Health has been redistributed from 100/400 to 150/350
Developer Comments: With this change Winston will be slightly more resilient against shotguns, beams, and weapons with a high rate of fire.
- Knockback strength reduced 25%
Developer Comments: For how often it can occur, Wrecking Ball’s knockback is too strong. We’re reducing the distance it moves enemy players to bring it more in line with other low cooldown knockback abilities.
- Fixed a bug that caused player ragdoll models to fall through the terrain when skipping the kill camera
- Fixed a bug that caused the Bounty Hunter game mode to collapse too early
- Fixed a bug that allowed Tracer to escape map geometry in a specific location