Overwatch 2 has a total of 35 heroes in this season 1. So it can be overwhelming for a new player to choose what to play. Here are the five best beginner-friendly heroes you can play in the game.
Overwatch 2 is the next step for the Overwatch game. At its core, it is a big update for Overwatch. There are some very significant changes from the original game. The main difference is the 5v5 gameplay instead of its original 6v6.
Because of the two-player reduction per match, the game is a lot faster. Now you can play one tank, two damage, and two supports. So the tanks have seen some buffs to fit into this new system. Some tanks, like Orisa, have been completely changed to fit into the game.
For a beginner, it can be hard to find a hero that is suitable for them. Overwatch 2 has a lot of heroes, some with guns and others with melee. Every hero functions differently and plays a different role in the game. Here are five relatively easy-to-play heroes but some of the best in terms of power in the game.
Read More: Overwatch 2: How to set up SMS Protection
Top 5 Best Heroes for Beginners in Overwatch 2
To choose the best hero for a beginner, we will let you know the relatively easy-to-pick-up heroes that will greatly impact the game. There is some S-tier hero that has a massive learning curve. So we will be ignoring those. Also, we don’t have any particular order for the heroes. With that in mind, let us go on with the list.
Sigma is a Tank in Overwatch 2. He is a shield tank that can use the shield to block incoming damage. He also has some other damage mitigation abilities. On top of that, he can deal some serious damage himself. With a bit of practice, you can do very well with Sigma in Overwatch 2. So he is apparently a good choice for anyone starting the game.
Here are all the Abilities Sigma has in Overwatch 2:
- Hypersphere (Primary Fire): His primary fire is these two balls floating on his hand. After pressing the fire button, he throws both balls toward the aimed area. These balls can bounce off walls if you aim at the floor or wall. If you hit an enemy with it, it will damage them a lot.
- Experimental Barrier (Shield): He has a shield that he can use anywhere to block incoming damage
- Accertion (Rock Throw): He also has a rock-throw ability. Upon pressing the ability button, he brings up a rock and throws it in front of him. If the rock hits an enemy, it will knock them back.
- Kinetic Grasp (Projectile Stopping): He creates a small black hole on his hand that eats up all the projectiles or bullets thrown at him. The more projectiles he eats, the more shield health he will get for his main health bar.
- Gravitic Flux (Ultimate): Press the ability to activate the ultimate. While in the Ultimate state, he can fly freely, but that is not the purpose of the ability. Activating the ultimate will show an area in front of him. Press the primary fire button to select the area. Upon selecting the area, anyone in the area will shoot up in the air then Sigma will slam them into the ground dealing half of their health as damage.
Moira is a healer in Overwatch 2. She has a good balance of healing and damage for support. All of her abilities have a healing mode and a damage mode. You can choose when to heal and when to deal damage. Her fade is also good for getting out of a bad situation. So, she is an all-around good hero for anyone who is playing the game.
Here are all the Moira Abilities in Overwatch 2:
- Biotic Grasp (Primary Fire): The primary fire is a healing particle. You the particle on your teammates to heal them.
- Biotic Grasp (Secondary Fire): The secondary fire is a beam that can lock on the target as long as you aim close to them. Any damage dealt by this ability will replenish your health and Healing particle.
- Biotic Orb (Heal/Damage): Press the button to activate an orb. This orb has two different functions depending on how you use it. While the orb is active, pressing the primary button will throw a healing orb that will heal anyone in its area of effect. But pressing the secondary fire will shoot a damage orb that damages all the enemies near it.
- Fade (Dash): Upon pressing the ability, she fades from the map. While in the fade form, she can travel quite some distance. Using jump at the end of fade will high you a slightly boosted jump that is good for covering more area while traveling. But the jump can be tricky to perform.
- Coalescence (Ultimate): Moira unleashes a beam that lasts 8 seconds. Any ally inside the beam will get healed, and any enemy inside it will get damaged.
Players who want to be dedicated healers can play Mercy. She doesn’t have much, if any, damage. For most matches, you won’t even use your blaster. Mercy has one of the highest healing in the game. If you are playing her positioning, knowing when to heal and when to damage-boost is the key. Overall she is a fun character who is easy to pick up and play.
Here are all the Mercy Abilities in Overwatch 2:
- Caduceus Staff (Main Weapon): This is her main weapon of choice. She doesn’t do damage with it. Pressing and holding the primary fire button will heal the teammate, and the secondary fire button will damage-boost the teammate.
- Caduceus Blaster (Secondary Weapon): This is her damage-dealing weapon. You can press 2 to equip it. Then start blasting people with it.
- Guardian Angel (Dash): If any teammate is within her sightline, pressing the ability will make her dash toward the teammate.
- Resurrect: She can revive any fallen ally. But the ability has a long cooldown and a long animation. Make sure to use it on the cover, or else you will get shot and die too.
- Angelic Descent: Holding the jump button while falling will activate the Angelic Descent and slow down her fall. With this ability, you can stay in the air with any other flying hero in the game.
- Valkyrie (Ultimate): Activates the hyper mode. In this mode, she can fly freely, and all of her abilities get a boost.
Reinhardt is the main Shield tank for Overwatch 2. If you want to play him, you must learn how to play around his shield. His shield is an ability for protecting your teammate as well as an ability for you to push toward the enemy so that you can hit them with your hammer. Having a good healer is necessary when you can play him. But he can be very fun to play with a lot of outplay potential.
Here are all the Reinhardt Abilities in Overwatch 2:
- Rocket Hammer (Main Weapon): This melee weapon deals a lot of damage when you hit the enemy.
- Barrier Field: This is a massive barrier that will protect every member of your team as long as they stay behind it. This barrier also has one of the highest health pools in the game.
- Fire Strike: Rein swings his hammer to create a fire strike that deals damage and goes through enemies.
- Charge: He uses the booster on his back to charge toward the enemy. Anyone caught in the charge will get pinned. Pinning an enemy to the wall will kill them unless they are a tank.
- Earthshatter (Ultimate): Rein uses his hammer to shatter the ground. Anyone caught in its radius will get knocked down for quite some time. Allowing your team to damage and kill them.
1. Soldier 76
Soldier 76 is one of the easiest damage dealers to start with in Overwatch 2. His abilities are very basic but powerful. His weapon fires a button with a relatively simple pattern. If you have prior experience with FPS games, you will feel at home with him. So this is a good choice for new players to start the game with.
Here are all the Soldier 76 Abilities in Overwatch 2:
- Heavy Pulse Rifle (Main Weapon/Primary Fire): This is a standard rifle you can find in any game. Primary fire fires an automated round with a 30 ammo capacity.
- Helix Rocket (Secondary Fire): Pressing the secondary fire will shoot a triangular rocket from the gun.
- Sprint: Pressing the ability button allows him to sprint to any place. So he is a very mobile hero in Overwatch 2.
- Biotic Field: This is a mini healing station you can use to heal yourself or any ally inside its radius.
- Tactical Visor (Ultimate): This is an auto-aim. You will gain auto aim and increased reload speed when the visor is activated.