After finding out that there is probably going to be a while until Riot ports LoR over to mobile, Reddit user AlmightyGroth decided to make a guide for people who wants to play while on the go. Therefore, this is a step by step guide on how you can do just that.
- A phone if that isn’t obvious yet.
- Legends of Runeterra installed
- The Steam client installed on the same PC as Legends of Runeterra
Connecting your phone via steam link
- The first thing you need to do is install the steam link app (IOS / Android)
- Once you’ve opened the app and clicked “Get started”, you need to pair a controller. Press the “Use touch control” option
- The app will now scan your network for devices that has steam installed.
- If your computer shows up on your phone, follow these steps:
- Click on your computer from the list. A new window on steam should pop up saying “Authorize Device”.
- Enter the PIN-code shown on your phone and press OK
- If your computer does not show up on your phone, follow these steps:
- Your phone will now run some network tests with your computer. After it is done, you’re ready to move onto step 2
Adding Legends of Runeterra to steam
- Go to your steam client and press the “Add a game” button in the bottom left corner. Then press “Add a Non-Steam Game“
- Click “Browse” and go to your Riot Client folder. The default location is “C:\Riot Games\Riot Client”
- Select “RiotClientServices.exe” from the directory and press open
- The program you just added should be added to the list of files and selected automatically. Make sure that you didn’t accidentally add any other program from the list, then press “Add selected programs”
- “Legends of Runeterra” should now be visible in your steam library. However, you will get an error if you try to launch it. To fix this, we need to right-click the game from the library and go to “Properties”
- From here, you should click the “Set launch options” button, and paste “C:\Riot Games\Riot Client\RiotClientServices.exe” –launch-product=bacon –launch-patchline=live into the input field. Press OK and close the properties window
- If you have done everything correctly, you should be able to launch LoR from steam now. All that remains is step 3, which is to actually launch it on your phone
That is it you are done now you can proceed to play the game.
Before going through the steps to launch the game, here is a quick lesson on how the steam link works, in order to make it easier to use and understand later down the road.
Unlike a normal pc setup, the steam link simulates your inputs and sends them to the computer over the internet. The computer then streams the output back to the phone. This is why the quality of your game depends largely on your PC and a solid internet connection. Another con to this system is the fact that your PC needs to be powered on for a steam link to function, as you use the PC for running the game.
Now, to actually run the game:
- Go back to your phone and open the steam link
- Press the big blue button where it says “Start playing”
- You will notice Steam opening in big picture mode on your PC. Once the steam link has loaded up, you should see the same screen on your phone
- You now have access to steam on your phone! Press the “Library” button. If you tried to launch the game before, you should be able to find Legends of Runeterra under the “Recent” tab. If not, there is a search tab where you can search for it. You can press the top right button on your phone’s screen to open up the keyboard
- Once you have opened LoR, it is recommended that you should go into options for the steam link by pressing the button in the top left corner of the screen. You then want to disable the touch controller. Then change the mouse settings to “Direct Cursor“. Press ” Done ” once you’re finished
- There is another simpler way. You need to just download the chrome remote desktop on your pc and my mobile phone and its working very smoothly. But You could try this way and see the difference. You do need to change some settings on chrome desktop to make it that long press is actually “drag and play“.
- Enjoy playing Legends of Runeterra anywhere!