Overwatch burst into the class-based hero shooter with a bang back in 2016. Here is a list of all the details that are available till now about its upcoming anticipated sequel.
All the details on this list are the best information that is available for this sequel till now. This list will be updated as soon as anything major is announced from Blizzard itself.
- Overwatch 2 Announcement Cinematic
- Overwatch 2 Gameplay Trailer
- Overwatch 2 Rio de Janeiro Mission Intro and Outro
- Story events such as Uprising and Retribution will return presumably as Hero Missions rather than being tied to the Archives events
- Overwatch 2 may retire annual events in favor of new ones. The event formats will follow Sid Meyer’s Rule of Thirds. 1/3 = New event, 1/3 = Old event, 1/3 = Improved version of an old event.
- No heroes will be removed from Overwatch 2.
- Overwatch 2 will release with Sojourn and maybe 4 other new heroes.
- Heroes will have a new default skin appearance in Overwatch 2.
- Five new maps have been shown that will be coming to Overwatch 2 namely: Toronto, Rio de Janeiro, Gothenburg, Monte Carlo, and an unknown map presumed to be Utopaea, Symmetra’s base of operations.
- Players who own a license to both Overwatch 1 and Overwatch 2 will be able to access their collected content (skins, emotes, sprays, etc.) on Overwatch 2.
- All cosmetics and level progression in Overwatch 1 will be carried forward into Overwatch 2.
- Overwatch 1 players will be playing alongside Overwatch 2 players in PVP.
- Uncertainty of whether progression will be in story missions but they will be in hero missions.
- Overwatch 2’s PvE leveling system will have a cap.
- Uncertainty of the length of one story mission.
- Overwatch 2’s story missions will be a full and very long story arc.
- Every Overwatch 2 story mission will contain both an intro and an outro.
- Cutscenes in Overwatch 2 are both pre-rendered and in the engine.
- There will be difficulty options in Overwatch 2’s PvE mode.
- There will be an item system similar to battle royales. Temporary items that can be used throughout the story missions.
- Multiple different enemy factions such as Null Sector, Talon and more to come. Bonus super-cool wallpaper
- Talent System – Players will be able to level up their heroes throughout the game and gain new and more powerful versions of their key abilities and ultimates (which are exclusive to PVE modes).
- Overwatch 2 will have new announcers aside from Athena such as Tekharta Mondatta, the omnic Shambali monk who was assassinated by Widowmaker in the cinematic short ‘Alive’
- Overwatch 1 & 2 will receive a new HUD & UI. Preview and explanation of the new HUD/UI.
- Overwatch will be a single client. Both Overwatch 1 and Overwatch 2 will use the same shared game client when Overwatch 2 launches.
- Overwatch 2 will introduce a new, tug-o-war’ ish core game mode called Push. This game mode will be made available to Overwatch 1 owners as well.
- Overwatch 2 will have an updated graphics engine (and will apply to Overwatch 1).
- There is no release date for Overwatch 2. Based on comments from Jeff during the Press Interview, it sounds like this game will still be in development by the time BlizzCon 2020 comes, which projects Overwatch 2 at a presumed 2021 release.
Especial Thanks to Reddit user Fenrion for making the list possible.