The announcement was made by Atlus on June 8, 2021.
Atlus’s announcement of continuing distribution of its PSP titles digitally in Japan after July 2, 2021, came as a surprise to most. Because, Sony Interactive Entertainment had previously announced their decision of shutting down PlayStation Store Services on the PlayStation 3, PSP, and PS Vita.
However, after receiving backlash from fans, Sony decided to retract from its original decision. Sony had announced that they will continue to support PlayStation Store services of the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita, except for PSP. Because, Sony was still going forward with terminating PSP’s commerce functionality on July 2, 2021.
This meant that any new purchase of PSP titles would be terminated. However, Atlus has updated its original article published on April 28 and added the announcement that they will continue to offer digital sales of PSP titles on PS3 and PS Vita after July 2, 2021.
On the update made on June 8, 2021, Atlus said:
“It has been decided that we will continue selling the following PSP software on PS Vita, which was scheduled to be discontinued. These games will continue to be available for purchase on PS3 and PS Vita.”
Here is the complete list of Atlus’s PSP titles that will be available for purchase even after July 2, 2021:
- Hexyz Force (Sting the Best)
- Growlanser (Atlus Best Collection)
- Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded
- Gloria Union
- Persona (Atlus Best Collection)
- Persona 3 Portable (PSP the Best)
- Knights in the Nightmare
- Persona 2: Innocent Sin
- Princess Crown (Atlus Best Collection)
- Blaze Union: Story to Reach the Future (Sting the Best)
- Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
- Yggdra Union (Sting the Best)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (Atlus Best Collection)
- Tokyo Mono Harashi: Karasu no Mori Gakuen Kitan (Atlus Best Collection)
In addition to Atlus, Level 5 has also announced its decision to continue the digital distribution of its PSP titles today.